Dynamic listing of Career Transition Resources
Note – We strive to list mostly free resources on this list.
Most of these resources are focused on the Triad area of North Carolina (Winston-Salem, Greensboro & High Point). Any resources outside of these areas are marked accordingly.
If you have not defined “Who Am I” – watch this video – dream into your Next Career
If you have not been trained on how to build your LinkedIn Profile, read this Ebook – Building a Professional LinkedIn Profile
Resume & Cover Letter Resources
- Free Jung Typology Test
- Strength Finder 2.0 – $19.95 on Amazon
- Free Disc Assessment
Motivated Skills Evaluation
North Carolina State University Industrial Extension Service – Manufacturer Search
O*Net Resource Center – Diverse Research Tools from American Job Center Network
O*Net Online – Additional American Job Center Network Resources
Forsyth County Library Online – W/Library Card – Online Research Tools
University HQ – An interesting career idea resource that seems to be free
Facebook Groups – See the list in the Job Seekers Facebook Resources Post
LinkedIn Groups – See the list in the Job Seekers LinkedIn Groups Post
Listing of Triad area Recruiters
In Real Life (IRL) Resources
- Career Support Network – Winston-Salem – Monday – 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM (updated 1/1/19)
- Triad Career Network (formerly FPCJobs) Tues & Thurs 8:30am – 10:30am
- Triad Job Search Network – High Point – Tuesdays – 9am – 11am
- Professional in Transition – Thursdays 7pm – 8:30pm
- Goodwill Industries of NorthWest NC Professional Center (added 10/2012)
- Goodwill Industries of Central NC – Lots of different resources locations
React Center – They have a Facebook Group as well
- Employability Workshops Contact Forsyth Tech Community College for more info
- Re-employment BootCamp – contact FTCC for more information
- Forsyth Tech – lots of development classes for job seekers
The Job Net Breakfast – Greensboro – Monday7:30am –9:00am
- Members In Transition (Sub Group of HRMAG)
- The Women’s Professional Forum– Greensboro – 2nd Fridays – 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Linking Winston-Salem – Meets 2nd Tuesday of each Month
- 336 Events – Good old fashion Social Networking
- American Society Interior Designers
- Project Management Institute – They have local chapters in many NC cities
- Product Development and Management Association – They have local chapters in many NC Cities
- Association of Talent Development – They have local chapters in the Triad
- Association for Operations Management – There are local chapters in the Triad
- Rotary Clubs – There are numerous clubs in the Triad
- Winston-Salem Chamber Commerce – Networking groups and events
- Goodwill Northwest NC – Lots of different resources in numerous locations
- Greensboro Chamber Commerce – Networking groups and events
- Greensboro Merchants Association – Networking groups and events
BizSource – Networking groups and events
- Alumni Associations – Check your University or College
- Religious Groups – Check with your church or synagogue
Wake Tech Events & Resources – Wake County NC
ONLINE Job Search Resources
- ZipRecruiter – FREE job search website to help individuals find meaningful jobs using sophisticated matching technology
- www.triadjobsnow.com – Employment and Career related News, Events, Resources & Jobs for Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point and surrounding Piedmont Triad community.
- Massive Open Online Courses – FREE Online Courses by Top Universities & Colleges
- NC Works – Connecting Talent to Jobs
- NCWiseman – Online Resources related to Motivation, Social Media & Job Search
- 360 degree Reach-Personal Branding – Good Personal Assessment program
- Indeed.com – Job Aggregator site (setup searches & post your resume)
- Simplyhired.com – Job Aggregator site (setup searches & post your resume)
W-S Chamber Triad Jobnet – Setup search agents and publish your resume
- News & Record – Online Job Listing (newspaper)
- Career Cast – Online Job Search
- News-Record Business Site – pay attention to what is going on in business
- JobHero – Resume examples and other job search resources worth reviewing
Online Job Listings & Employment information
(Important Notice – These links were tested on 6/21/2012 – they are subject to change)
- GlassDoor – Job & Salary Info – http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
- Salary.com – Job & Salary Info – http://www.salary.com/
- Winston-Salem Journal Job Listing – http://www2.journalnow.com/classifieds/jobs/
- News & Record Job Listings – http://triadcareers.news-record.com
- News & Observer Job Listings – http://www.trianglejobs.com/
- Winston-Salem Chamber – http://jobs.winstonsalem.com/JobSeeker/Jobs.aspx
- Greensboro Chamber – http://www.greensboroncjobs.org/
- Triad Employment Guide – http://triad.employmentguide.com/
- JobOpenings.net – http://northcarolina.jobopenings.net/
- NC ESC – http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/jobSearch/jobSearchMain.asp
- Goodwill Northwest North Carolina – www.goodwillnwnc.org
- Goodwill Central North Carolina – http://www.triadgoodwill.org/
- Simply Hired – http://www.simplyhired.com/
- Indeed – http://www.indeed.com/
- CareerBuilder – http://www.careerbuilder.com/
- Monster – http://jobsearch.monster.com/
- Dice – http://www.dice.com/
- jobs.com – http://jobs.com/
- The Ladders – http://www.theladders.com/
- LinkedIn Jobs – http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?displayHome
- Usa.gov Job Resource Site – http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Education-Training/Finding-Jobs.shtml
- HRMAG.org – http://www.hrmag.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=26
- SHRM – http://jobs.shrm.org
- Careercast – http://www.careercast.com/
- After College – https://www.aftercollege.com/
Other Job Search Resources
A few School Systems
- Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools – http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Page/402
- Guilford County Schools – http://vacancysearch.gcsnc.com/
- Rockingham County Schools – http://www.rock.k12.nc.us/domain/47
Google your county name, schools, jobs – you’ll be both amazed & overwhelmed.
Profession Specific – Google your industry & Jobs – you’ll again be both amazed and overwhelmed.
- Cable360.com – Cable industry jobs – http://www.cable360.com/
- TelecomCrossing.com Telecom Industry Jobs – http://www.telecomcrossing.com/#
- Non-Profit Services Jobs – http://www.nonprofitservices.org/JobConnection.aspx
- Going Global Career Site – http://www.goinglobal.com/
Niche job listing sites
- highered.com – http://www.higheredjobs.com/
- catholicjobs.com – http://www.catholicjobs.com/
- christianjobs.com – http://www.christianjobs.com/
Specific Companies – Check out their website – many companies list their job openings
Additional Job Search Resources
Learn How to Become: https://www.learnhowtobecome.
College Internships and Employment: https://www.
FYI – Call, email or check online to confirm the current status of these resources. This info changes periodically. Please alert me if one of these sites does not work.
Work-net – Tuesdays 10Am – 11:30AM
Joblink Career Center – 303 North Raleigh Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 336-373-5922
Joblink Career Center – call for times on Mondays
302 Highway St Ste 1B, Madison, NC 27025 / (336) 548-2835
Free individual career counseling for unemployed individuals. Free assessment of personal interests, strengths and skills to help you establish career goals. Ongoing free job search and job-readiness support. ESC referrals. Free educational financial assistance for qualified candidates into JRTC. Assistance with college financial aid applications.
Job Seekers Board Room – Mondays 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Moses Cone MedCenter, 2630 Willard Dairy Road, High Point, NC
Group meetings are free and open to the public, and take place in the MedCenter boardroom. More info: Call Liz Sullivan at (336) 834-8652, David Marshall at (336) 884-8164 or Kathleen Natalie at (336) 456-7312.
JobTalk & Java, Wednesdays – 10:00am
Central Library, 219 North Church Street, GSO, NC
Library features timely and relevant topics of discussion, online tools for employment, support and networking. Participants may enjoy an informal and lively discussion about the issues facing job seekers. Free coffee and up to date information will be available. For questions call (336) 373-3764.
Jewish Family Services Job Support Group, Wednesdays 7:30pm
5509-C W Friendly Ave, Greensboro, NC 27410, Betsy Gamburg, Director, Jewish Family Services, (336) 852-4829, email@example.com
Employability Workshops – (Forsyth Tech Community College Programs)
@ The Employment Security Commission, 2nd Floor REACT Center
Mondays & Wednesdays / 9:00AM – Noon (16 week programs)
@ Forsyth Tech West Campus, 1300 Bolton Street, Winston-Salem, NC
Tuesdays & Thursdays / 9:00am – Noon (16 week programs)
Instructor Assistance with Career Exploration, Interviewing Skills, Resume Writing, Job Search Methods. Registration @ Forsyth Tech West Campus | Call (336) 761-1002 for more info
Pre-employment program for displaced homemakers – Women’s Resource Center has a pre-employment program designed for displaced homemakers called, “New Choices: Strategies for Success.” Workshops cover topics such as networking, interviewing, budgeting, identifying career goals, resume building, self-esteem and researching companies. For more information call Lucy Wellmaker at 275-6090, ext. 223. Women’s Resource Center of Greensboro is located at 628 Summit Ave. Also visit www.womenscentergso.org.
Job Search Skills Workshop – Participants learn the latest skills required for a successful Job Search including preparing resumes and applications, interview skills, job contacts including Internet postings. Participants are also introduced to valuable services available through Job Link and GTCC. The workshop is free to qualified individuals. Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon at JobLink, 303 N. Raleigh St., Greensboro and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon at Employment Security Commission Office, 919 Phillips Ave., High Point.
Pathways To Employment – GTCC provides training in the latest skills required for a successful job search in today’s workforce. Participants can receive assistance in creating or revising resumes and cover letters, working on interview skills and tending to job applications. Participants are guided through materials that discuss the connection between interests and job performance. Career interest inventories are given and reviewed and then explored on the Internet. his training is valuable to job seekers who are looking for ways to enhance their job search skills and/or to retool their careers. Pathways To Employment is free to qualified individuals. Classes are held Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to noon at JobLink, 303 N. Raleigh St., Greensboro.
The Jobs On The Outside (JOTO) – This program is a new initiative designed to lend specialized assistance to ex-offenders/job seekers with criminal histories in obtaining job training and job search assistance. To access the services provided by JOTO, please contact your local probation/parole office or visit one of the Community Resource Centers for additional information.
The Community Resource Center of Asheboro – Located at 1064 East Dixie Drive offers the following classes: GED/ABE; English as a Second Language; Money Smart; Basic Computer; Software for Career Development; Internet and E-Mail for the World of Work; Interviewing, Resume Writing and How to Properly Complete a Job Application; Unemployment: Understanding the Grieving Process; and Balancing Work and Parenting. Please call the CRC of Asheboro at (336) 610-0400 for additional information.
The Community Resource Center of Greensboro (Goodwill Industries) – S. Elm Street – located at 1235 South Eugene Street, offers a weekly Job Preparedness Class held each Wednesday through Tuesday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Other classes include Money Smart and Basic Computer. Other services are available depending upon need and sponsorship by community partner agencies. Call the S. Elm Street Center at (336) 275-9801 for additional information.
N. Elm Street Career Center (Goodwill Industries) – Located at 3519 N. Elm Street, Greensboro, NC – Offers various career-related services including resume writing services, job leads, free workshops for job seekers, free fax and computer resources for job application submittals, and general career counseling and support. Contact the N. Elm Career Center at 336-282-7307 for additional information.
Oak Ridge Career Center (Goodwill Industries) – Located at 2205 Oak Ridge Road, Oak Ridge NC 27310 – Offers various career-related services including resume writing services, job leads, free workshops for job seekers, free fax and computer resources for job application submittals, and general career counseling and support. Contact the Oak Ridge Career Center at 336-643-4907 for additional information.
The Community Resource Center of Reidsville – located at 1551 Freeway Drive, offers the following classes: GED/ABE, English as a Second Language, Employability Skills, Money Smart, Basic Computer, and Software for Career Development. The Job Search Boot Camp meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 1:00-3:00 pm and provides an opportunity to network and gain access to information pertinent to job seekers. Business casual dress is required for the Boot Camp. Call CRC of Reidsville at (336) 637-1010 for additional information.
Career self-assessments by Appt only Greensboro Public Library, 219 N. Church St., GSO, NC Take the computerized Campbell Interest and Skills Survey and/or the Keirsey Temperament Sorter (KTS-II). Self-assessment helps you learn about your job and career interest, job skills and personal preferences for the workplace. Career counselor Kim Hailey will interpret your test results. Call 335-5430 to make an appointment. Networking Groups
WOMAN over 40 meeting & networking, Mondays – 5:30pm
Mahi’s Seafood Restaurant, 4721 Lawndale Drive, GSO, NC / (336) 370-9711
Job Search Strategies for Mature Professionals, Tuesdays – 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Durham Technical CC, Orange County campus, 525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC
Address elements of a successful career search, including discerning one’s strengths, values and motivations; identifying achievements and accomplishments, networking, interviewing, resume and cover letter writing and more. No registration required.
The VentuRealization® Community is a genuine, interactive ecosystem of people and organizations that continue to grow on a daily basis, primarily through word of mouth. Community members have established a safe-space for themselves, their team members and colleagues that allow them to interact with one another in a harmonious manner through principles of sincerity, mutual generosity, integrity and trust. Presentations and interactive discussion on venture development interests and needs. Meets at 5:30-730 pm 1st Tuesday of each month at: DataMax Foundation, 711 Coliseum Plaza Court, Winston-Salem, NC 27106 (Downstairs conference room; please park in back parking lot.)
Business Network International-Triad Business Builders – Tuesdays 7:30am
Oaks Ridge Wealth Management, 328 E. Market St., GSO, NC
For more information, contact Delores Long-Hart at 369-2983
Business Network International-Rainmakers meeting, Wednesdays – 8:30am
Hope Church, 610 Muirs Chapel Road, GSO, NC
For more information, contact Tyler Stephenson at 764-5990
Business Network International-Goal Seekers meeting, Wednesdays – 11:30am Piedmont Club, 200 W. 2nd St., WS, NC. For more information, contact Elizabeth Davis at 723-3806.
Business Network International-Moneymakers, Wednesdays – 8:00am
Congregational United Church of Christ, 400 W. Radiance Drive, GSO, NC For more information, contact Ken Garton at 547-7066.
Referrals Unlimited networking group, Thursdays – 8:30am
Panera Bread Co., Wendover Avenue, GSO, NC. Geno Iorio, 549-2993 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Network International-Diamonds, Thursdays @ noon
Anton’s Restaurant, 1628 Battleground Ave., GSO, NC
For more information, contact John Haskins at 655-6556.
Business Network International-Gate City – Thursdays @ 8:00am
Friendly Avenue Church of Christ, 5101 W. Friendly Ave., GSO, NC For more information, contact David Huffines at 908-2429
Professional Women’s Network (GSO) http://www.pwngso.org Fridays from 8am to 9 a.m. Women’s Resource Center, 628 Summit Ave. Greensboro, NC. Women’s support and networking group. Contact: email@example.com for more information about attending a meeting.
Business Card sources
This list is dynamic of Job Search Resources – if you know of other resources we should share, please comment and I will add them to the list. If you know any of these resources changes in any way, please email NCWiseman@teddyburriss.com of changes.