Choosing the correct words to use to promote yourself can be a difficult task. Many of us struggle talking about ourselves, let alone choosing bold & powerful words that describe us. Consider not following the words that others use, especially if they are the same words everyone else uses.
Think of what these words really say about yourself and how they could be perceived by the recruiter/hiring manager:
- Dynamic – What happens if they want someone who just follows rules?
- Familiar with – Yeah, we kind of are looking for someone who is way past familiar
- Flexible – They may want someone who is strict and concise, not flexible
- Hard worker – This is assumed, until they discover differently during the interview and reference check
- Highly qualified – By who, for what and based on what criteria?
- People person – Great, but you have to work in a warehouse all by yourself
- Problem solver – What kinds of problems, and does this mean you think we have problems?
- Reliable – Again, this should be assumed
- Self-starter – What happens if they don’t want you to start by yourself?
- Team player – What happens if they want you to work by yourself?
Think very careful of the words you use to promote yourself. Be bold, be positive, be deliberate about the words you use.