This is part 6 of the 16 post series.
“For every job that goes away, another can be created, it will be different and unlike anything you ever imagined.” ~ @NCWiseman
I hear this all the time, “I have no idea what job I can do now.”
There are three reasons for this.
- You can’t think past your title and last job
- You don’t believe their skills, talents, passion, experience and/or education can be used anywhere else
- Biggest reason – you have never heard of your new job.
As the economy, technology, our culture and societal needs change, so do the jobs that are required to fulfill the needs.
We can teach you to think past your old title and job. We can help you believe in yourself. We can even help you find jobs that you have never heard of.
Finding jobs that you can do, that you never heard of before happens when you do two things.
- Meet new & different people
- I teach a course in Networking for Mutual Benefit and one of the sections is called, “Different is Good”. Simply said, “If the only people you meet and talk to are the same people you see day after day, then you will only experience the same old thing. However, if you meet people who are different, unlike you in every unimaginable way, then you are likely to see new perspectives, experience new activities, eat different food, sing different songs and hear about different types of jobs. Variety is not just the spice of life, but the fuel for new ideas, perspectives, friends and even career ideas.”
- Read new books and blogs
- Knowledge and ideas can be generated from reading a good book. Blogs (or websites with articles) are another great place to find new ideas and perspectives. You don’t have to only read business books or self help books. A good fiction or auto-biography can generate interesting ideas as well.
- Reading is essential for growth. Why, because the people who have all the ideas are not at your beckoning call. Besides, when you read an interesting and informative book, it not only gives you ideas of something new to do, but also creates more questions for you to get answered, either thru a good conversation with someone or by reading another book.
- Think Big, Bold & Creative
- Be all that you can be, at all times. Don’t settle for status quo or something simple because it’s easy. Push yourself to think unique, exciting, different and futuristic.
- There are no longer any jobs that offer stability or long term employment. Think past these unrealistic qualifiers.
- Let your imagination go wild. You never know what it can conjure up and what ideas it can create for you to ponder and possibly make into something real for you.
In summary, discover jobs that you have never heard of before by talking, reading and dreaming.