Please read this post and then participate in the survey at the bottom.
If you are a LinkedIn user (& you should be if you are in business), then you have connections and may be wondering the same thing.
“Do I want to let my connections see all of the people I am connected to on LinkedIn?”
I get asked this question all the time, “Why do I want to share my LinkedIn connection list with all of my LinkedIn contacts?”
My opinion is to let your contacts see your connections. However, let me show you my analytical thoughts on this question.
- Your LinkedIn connections are only a listing of people, not a listing of identified customers or business partners
- A smart business person, competitor or even peer can find these names using good search techniques
- Making your connections visible to your contacts enables the possibility of connecting good people where relevant and beneficial to them (not you)
- Making your connections visible shows that you are proud of the fabulous people that you are connected to
- Some of your connections will want to ask you to introduce them to other contacts when there is little to no relevance or mutual benefit. (this happens periodically)
- Your competitors, when connected to you (which is not that bad of a thing – another conversation), can see who else you are connected to. (likely they know who you are doing business with already)
- Your competitors can find the names of the decision makers that you had to work hard to find for yourself. (however the hard work is creating the relationship, not just finding the name)
I decided for myself that I was OK with my competitors seeing my connections, because, again, the hard work is building the relationship, not finding the names. For me, this CON is outweighed by the PRO of letting my good connections see each other and to benefit from getting introduced to the people I know.
So, here is the question for you: Do you prefer to Hide or Not Hide your LinkedIn connections from each other? And why? Please fill out this poll for us.