In Social Media systems we share content (Stuff) with others. We strive to educate and engage others with the intent of creating relationships that eventually turn into opportunities for business, careers, sales, and yes – the most important opportunity, to build mutually beneficial relationships.
This Stuff best be the right stuff or there will be no benefit to anyone including ourselves, our companies, fans, friends, followers, connections and subscribers.
If the stuff is the Wrong Stuff, then we might as well just “Go Back to Bed” ie – STOP.
OK – so the question is, “What is the wrong stuff?”
The answer to this question varies dramatically, but for me the core answer is always the same. I use a few bullet points to answer this question:
- If you won’t stand on a street corner and say, do it or show it to a complete stranger, it’s wrong stuff.
- If it’s something that is not relevant to the thread, page, group, followers, fans, friends or connections, then it’s wrong stuff.
- If it’s all about you, all the time, and never about someone else, then it’s wrong stuff.
- If it includes nudity, vulgarity, disgusting images, videos or words, then it’s wrong stuff (unless you’re on a Social Media system that I don’t visit)
- If you don’t have the authority or permission to share it (plagiarized), then it’s wrong stuff.
- If you think, even for the briefest of moments that someone will be insulted or hurt by what you say, do, show or share, it’s wrong stuff.
There used to be a day when I would say, “use your common sense”, but unfortunately this does not seem to work any more. I hope one day we can begin to use this phrase again.
When we talk about the “right stuff”, often, we use these adjectives: relevant, honest, transparent, interesting, useful, helpful, entertaining and exciting, just to say a few. If your Post, Status, Tweet, SignIn, Video, Blog, Pin, Comment, Discussion, Answer, Question, Poll, etc is not this, then it’s wrong stuff.
Here are a few examples that may help you better understand what is considered “Wrong Stuff“
LinkedIn Wall (Via your Profile Status) – Post an interesting story about anything interesting or relevant and include a URL to a list server that requires you to”signup” before being able to read the supposed content
LinkedIn Groups or Company Pages – Post a Discussion about something that is either completely irrelevant to the group or self promoting.
Facebook Groups & Pages are setup for specific conversations, focused on specific issues, ideas, topics and/or products. Remember this and don’t go off ranting and raving about the political system on a Community Yard Sale Group or local Garden Center Page.
I’m not going to tell you what you can do, say, show or share on your own Facebook Wall, Group and/or Page. It’s your’s, not mine. What I am going to tell you is “if it’s not relevant, honest, transparent, interesting, useful, helpful, entertaining and exciting”, then your Friends, Fans and/or Subscribers will unfriend you, block you, hide you and/or ignore you. And, they’ll do this in real life as well as online.
I could go on and on all day long and give you examples on Twitter, FourSquare, Pinterest, Youtube an Google+, but I hope this makes sense to you.
So let me repeat what the Right Stuff is: The Right Stuff is stuff that is relevant, honest, transparent, interesting, useful, helpful, entertaining and exciting.
Please never forget this.
Any suggestions of other Right Stuff?
Any other examples of the Wrong Stuff?