This is the text from a Real Job Description sent to a candidate from a company seeking employees. It’s a wonder they can find any good people with this type of job description. I want to know – What would you do if you were given this information and asked to apply for the job.
Come on folks – Throw out your ideas.
Enterprise Help Desk Manager
City – shhh – I can’t tell you this otherwise you’ll know the company
- Manages a team of support personnel who troubleshoot IT issues
- Implements policies and procedures regarding how problems are identified, received, documented, distributed, corrected
- Ensures maximum issue resolutions in minimum time
- Evaluates new information systems products or services and suggests changes to existing products or services to better aide the end user
- Requires a bachelor’s degree with at least 7 years of experience in the field.
- Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures
- Relies on extensive experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals
- Performs a variety of tasks
- Leads and directs the work of others
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
- Reports to head of a Unit/Department
- Extensive experience managing Help Desk and Infrastructure thereof – must have enterprise-wide experience
Other than the City identification I did not edit the post in any way
Why would anyone spend the time to both write this up and then to share it with the recruiter?
Why would a recruiter then send it to anyone? (& yes – they sent this to a candidate)
If you want someone to recruit for you, give them a solid useful and informative Job Description.
If you want to engage in the best possible candidates, give them a Job Description that tells them as much useful information as possible about the job.
Everyone fails here. The company won’t be able to hire good people, the recruiter will have to spin their wheels and answer far too many questions that the candidate must ask, and the candidate will fail because they have no idea what the real expectations, requirements and goals are of the position.
Would you apply for this job?
My counsel to you – DONT – force the people who are trying to hire good people to communicate better than this. If they can’t – ignore them.