With the growth of LinkedIn, and the significant increase in unemployment, lots of good people are losing access to their LinkedIn Profiles.
Please don’t let this happen to you.
Many of us setup our profiles initially for the benefit of our careers and thus, we used our business email address as the primary email address.
Then, when the economy (or other issues) forced us to lose our jobs, we also lost access to that email address. This is not a significant problem except for a few things:
1) All LinkedIn messages go to your primary email address
2) If you forget your password, oh well, the messages related to password recover/reset also go to the email address that is now Dead
For these reasons I recommend the following
1) Have more than 1 email address associated with your account.
2) Use a public domain email service like Google Mail or Yahoo as one of these email addresses
3) Do not use a regional or local ISP email service such as triad.rr.com or Yadtel.net as your only non-business email address. If you move you lose that email address as well
4) try really hard not to forget your password. This should be fairly easy if you are actively participating in LinkedIn.
How to add an email address to LinkedIn:
Login to your LinkedIn profile
Click on your name in the upper right of the screen
Click on settings
Click on Change near your primary email address
Follow the prompts
Please, don’t be the owner of an aborted and dead LinkedIn Profile